Our Student Ambassador program welcomes motivated and passionate high schoolers to engage in learning, act as student leaders, participate in our annual Sleep Out in November, and plan their own Student Sleep Out in the spring.
This is a unique opportunity for New Orleans students to gain service hours while learning about the causes of homelessness, receiving personal/professional development in a collaborative setting, and gain leadership experience. Students are credited with over 50 service hours with CHNO by the end of the program.
Applications open each August; please email volunteerNOLA@covenanthouse.org with any questions.
- Ambassadors will attend:
- 3 pre-Sleep Out workshops (Sept – Oct)
- The CHNO “Big” Sleep Out (usually held the Thursday before Thanksgiving)
- 2 post-Sleep Out workshops (Dec – Feb)
- 1 Student Sleep Out (Jan-Apr)
- The structured discussions in the workshops will cover:
- Covenant House New Orleans background
- Causes of homelessness & proposed solutions
- Expectations for their role in the Student Sleep Out
- Leadership and ethical volunteering & storytelling
- Post-Sleep Out reflection
- Ambassadors will bring their leadership skills to bear in planning a Student Sleep Out on their campus
- Ambassadors may also work collectively on an “Ambassador” project of their own choosing to be presented at the Student Sleep Out or during advocacy months